2010/08/14

Kustsnäppa - Calidris canutus - Red Knot

click to enlarge
Kustsnäppa, ad sommardräkt - Calidris canutus - Red Knot, ad breeding plumage
 NF Photo 100801 Västerstadsviken, Eckelsudde Öland

Näbben skiljer den från Myrspoven. Den besöker oss bara sällsynt längs kusterna under flyttningarna.  
The beak separates it from the Bar-tailed Godwit. It is rarely seen along the coasts during migrations.

Calidris canutus at Wiki
Red Knot at youtube

This is my 150th bird species on my blog. So it is kind of a celebration. I was happy to see it when I visited Öland 2 weeks ago. I did not realize it was this one until I saw the photo because there turned out to be three different species loking almost teh same. People say you shall have a notebook and take notes. But without the photos I would have nothing. It is too much details to write down and I would only be confused. And the bird might be long gone before I wrote it down. So ... I photograph. Next time I know what to look for. :)

  BPW 103


Labels:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 comments:

  1. Snyggt foto. Vilken jättegullig näbb den har och fin ovanlig färg på magen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Den har jag heller inte sett förut :D hm .. undra om de kan finnas här i Värmland?
    Får kolla upp det lite :)
    fina bilder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. den här får du nog åka till Öland eller någon kust för att se.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grattis till 150! Jag ska ut med kameran och jaga men ännu så länge är det bara halvnakna turister på kalkstenshällarna utmed Ölands norra kuster.Men snart försvinner de!!
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the 150th bird!
    And as you say, these days it's much easier to take photos (if possible) to find out what kind of bird it is. I think this a very good way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that a photograph that you can look at later is the best way to ID a bird. Nice shot of the Red Knots and congrats on #150!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your 150th blog bird! Great capture!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Naturefootsteps Birds of Europe